Trim the Hoof, Choose & Shape the Shoe
- Use any shoe, any shape, any size and any material (steel or aluminum)!
- Shape the shoe, drill & tap as required.
Preparing the Shoe & Series III Cuff
- Sand or grind the SHOE with clean sanding paper, clean disk grinder or clean Dremel tool.
- Lightly sand aluminum plate on the cuff with clean sanding paper or clean Dremel tool.
- Shape the cuff exactly to the shoe. Series III™ cuffs are easily bent by hand and will hold shape.
- Make sure the Series III™ cuff is LEVEL and aligns well with the shoe you are using.
- Note: Do not heat the Series III™ cuff.
- Use the 1/16 inch thick adhesive backed spacers provided in the kit. On sizes 0, 1, 2 place spacers on the shoe at toe and at least 1+ inch from each heel. On a larger sizes use 5 spacers and apply to the shoe every 3 inches. These spacers provide the appropriate acrylic glue thickness for optimal bond performance.
- Mixing Adhesive: WEAR RUBBER GLOVES!! Mix ACRYLIC adhesive according to package directions. The practical working time for acrylics (slow set) is 3-5 minutes (at 70°F) before the adhesive stiffens.
- After completely mixing the adhesive apply a uniform layer to the horseshoe AND the cuff. Wait for a short time and then join cuff and shoe squeezing the adhesive. Apply the plastic clamps over the spacers.
- Wipe excess adhesive that squeezed out from bond line & fill all edge gaps. Keep excess adhesive off the cuff.
- Allow the adhesive to stiffen and cure. Sound Horse recommends a minimum 30+ minutes cure at 70°F
- If the cuff is longer than the shoe, you can cut the cuff with diagonal cutters or a jig saw. Do NOT grind the excess off as this will overheat the cuff and destroy the rim-pad bond. It is generally easier to first glue the cuff to the shoe, allow it to cure and cut the excess with a jig saw. Lightly grind the cut edges of cuff to fit the heel.
To use Sound Horse bi-component ACRYLIC adhesive packs, remove the separator clip and start mix by squeezing the two components for 10 seconds in sealed pack. Slit one end and completely strip contents into mix cup, add colorant if required, and mix for 60 seconds. Slow-set ACRYLIC is the best for the cuff shoe joint.
Note: you have about 3 minutes in hot weather to use the adhesive before it begins to set (stiffen). Cooler temperatures extend the set time.
Note: Always wear protective gloves when working with any adhesive. The ACRYLIC adhesives used by Sound Horse are safe but the glue will adhere to your skin. Use the latex gloves supplied in the kit.